The Isle of Wight County School Board is composed of five members who are elected by county voting district. They are elected to four-year staggered terms in November, with service beginning on January 1 of the year following the election. The chairman and vice chairman are elected annually during the July organizational board meeting. The School Board members are Julia Perkins, Chair (Windsor); Kent Hildebrand, Vice-Chair (Newport); Robert Eley (Carrsville); Tina Hill (Hardy); and Denise Tynes (Smithfield).
- School Board Members Profiles and Contact Info
- Policy Manual
- School Board Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- School Board Meeting Video
- Strategic Plan
The official duties of the School Board include:
- Adopting policies for the school division
- Adopting long-rage goals and objectives for the school division
- Selecting the superintendent
- Overseeing the construction and maintenance operations for the school division
- Approving the budget, awarding contracts, determing salaries, and overseeing efficient operation of school division
- Approving the annual school calendar and school operating times
- Determining school boundaries
School Board Meetings
The Isle of Wight County School Board meets at 7:00 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month in the Robert C. Claud, Sr. Board Room (formerly known as the Board of Supervisors' meeting room) at the Isle of Wight County Courthouse. The meetings begin with a Closed Session, followed by a Finance Report and then the Regular meeting agenda.
Regular Monthly meetings are also recorded and can be viewed online or on Charter cable.
Citizens wishing to address the Board can sign up by calling the Clerk's office at 357-0449 no later than three days before the Board meeting. Persons may also sign up prior to the beginning of the meeting on the signup sheet placed at the entrance to the boardroom.