Safety and security are top priorities for Isle of Wight County Schools. To that end, the division has adopted guidelines regarding school delayed openings, closings, and early releases due to inclement weather or emergency situations. The procedures used in school closings are detailed below. Keep this information in a convenient location for future reference.
Parents are urged to make arrangements in advance for the care of their children when schedule changes arise and unexpected closures occur. Children should know where to go or what to do if a parent will not be home or available to pick up their child.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF CLOSINGS/DELAYS
- Local television stations
- Local newspaper websites
The division will utilize multiple avenues to communicate any changes in school schedules due to weather or other emergency conditions. When possible, announcements will be made by 10 p.m. the night before. If conditions warrant a delayed closing due to overnight developments, an announcement will be made through the following sources as soon as the decision is made. If no school closing or delayed start announcement is made by 6 a.m., schools WILL open at their regular time.
Primary Sources (direct IWCS communications)
- All school activities scheduled for the day are cancelled.
- There will be no transportation for students enrolled in regional programs.
- No staff shall report to work when schools are closed unless specifically notified by their Supervisor.
Individual School Closings
Individual schools may close early should unsafe situations occur. Such conditions include:
- Electricity failure
- Equipment failure
- Utility leaks
- Other circumstances which may delay opening or necessitate the closing of school
Weather Watches and Warnings
- All schools are to maintain an operating weather radio that is monitored throughout the school day.
- When a tornado or severe thunderstorm WARNING is issued, schools will continue normal activities; however, recess and physical education activities will remain indoors.
- When a tornado WARNING is issued, students will remain in school along with staff in pre-designated shelter areas until the WARNING has been cancelled.
- When a severe thunderstorm WARNING is issued, students will remain in school with staff.
- Parents are requested not to come to school for their children during severe thunderstorm or tornado watches or warnings. Parents should remain off the roads until watches and warnings have been cancelled.
- If a tornado watch or warning is issued for the timeframe of any after-school activity involving students, the activity shall be cancelled immediately and, in the event of a tornado warning, all people on the premises will be directed to take shelter in pre-designated shelter areas.
- If a severe thunderstorm warning is issued prior to or during any outdoor after-school activity involving students, the activity will be cancelled immediately. Indoor activities may be permitted to continue as scheduled.