IWCS Military Family Information Page:
- When enrolling a new student, please complete the new student pre-registration online and then contact the School Counseling Office at your child's school to complete the registration process.
- Registration Process and New Student Pre-Registration Information
- Required Documents for Enrollment: In addition to the documents listed in the link, it is helpful to provide a copy of your child’s most recent report card to assist us in choosing the courses that are the best fit for your child.
Transferring from an IWCS School:
- Contact the School Counseling Office at your child's school to inform them of your move and request records.
Academic Planning and Graduation Requirements for Virginia
- IWCS Program of Studies
- Additional Parent Resources
- Specialty Programs in IWCS
- Special Education Resources in IWCS
- Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunities for Military Families
- Military One Source: This resource offers a wide range of content for many aspects of military life.
- Virginia Department of Education’s Military Families webpage
School-Based Military Student Point of Contact
Carrollton Elementary School
IWCS Military Student Point of Contact
Director of Community and Media Relations
Military School Liaison for Isle of Wight County Schools
The Navy School Liaison provides seven core services to assist military families and partners with schools:
- School Transition Services: During Permanent Change of Station Cycle, School Liaisons assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
- Deployment Supports: School Liaison connect educators with Navy deployment support systems to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.
- Command, School, and Community Communications: School Liaisons serve as subject matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect commands, schools, and community resources.
- Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaisons assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies, and legislation from local school districts.
- Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
- Post-Secondary Preparation: School Liaisons leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
- Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaisons provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.
The School Liaison is available to answer all questions about local area schools for the transitioning military families who need assistance with a range of questions regarding the needs of their school age children, from kindergarten to entering college. As the Subject Matter Expert for the Installation Commander, the liaison will stay up-to-date on all local and state level educational issues by learning about the community strengths and concerns.
Parent & Family Resources
Virginia Department of Education - The VDOE provides information to military families for assistance with transitioning children into Virginia Public Schools. There are also numerous links to support services available to military families.
Virginia School Report Card - The Virginia School Report Card is a collection of data compiled on an annual basis to provide information on school performance.
School Quest - SchoolQuest is an educational resource tool from the Military Child Education Coalition designed for military students, their families and the caring professionals who support them. SchoolQuest is well-suited to anyone who is “questing” information about schools, college and workplace readiness, transition, etc. It’s also a secure storage site for students’ educational, extra-curricular, award, volunteer and work information.
Military One Source - Military OneSource is provided by the Department of Defense at no cost to active duty, Guard and Reserve (regardless of activation status) and their families. It is a virtual extension of installation services. Consultants are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Military Child Education Coalition (militarychild.org) - The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) is a non-profit organization that seeks to address transition and education issues that face military-connected children.
Academic & Educational Resources
www.AccreditedOnlineColleges.org - online resource for accredited colleges and universities.
Military Impacted Schools Association - Military Impacted Schools Association (MISA) is a national organization representing school districts that serve high concentrations of military children.
Department of Defense Education (DODEA Schools Worldwide) - Teaching the children of Department of Defense military and civilian families worldwide.
Tutor.com - Free online tutoring and SAT/ACT preparation materials
Military Scholar - College scholarship information for children of activity duty, retired or deceased service members.
Student Aid - Find information on federally funded financial assistance programs —grants, loans and work-study —for education beyond high school.
My Future - A site to aid students in their search for information on careers, colleges and the military.
State of Virginia
- Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia Public Schools and Children of the Military
- Virginia Public School Directory Information
- School Quality Profile
Area Military Installations
- Fort Eustis
- Joint Forces Command
- Naval Weapons Station Yorktown
- Langley Air Force Base
- Naval Station Norfolk
- Naval Air Station Oceana
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard
- USCG Training Center Yorktown
- Military Impacted Schools Association
Military Impacted Schools Association (MISA) is a national organization representing school districts that serve high concentrations of military children.
- Department of Defense Education (DODEA Schools Worldwide)
Teaching the children of Department of Defense military and civilian families worldwide.
- Military Child Education Coalition
The Military Child Education Coalition is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, world-wide organization that identifies the challenges facing the highly mobile military child, increases awareness of these challenges in military and educational communities, and initiates and implements programs to meet the challenges.
- School Transfer Checklist
Checklist for transferring military students
- School Transfer Checklist