The Isle of Wight County School Board is composed of five members who are elected by county voting district. They are elected to four-year staggered terms in November, with service beginning on January 1 of the year following the election. The chairman and vice chairman are elected annually during the July organizational board meeting. The School Board members are Denise Tynes (Smithfield); Jackie Carr (Carrsville); Julia Perkins (Windsor); Vicky Hulick (Newport) and Alvin Wilson (Hardy).
The official duties of the School Board include:
- Adopting policies for the school division
- Adopting long-rage goals and objectives for the school division
- Selecting the superintendent
- Overseeing the construction and maintenance operations for the school division
- Approving the budget, awarding contracts, determining salaries, and overseeing efficient operation of school division
- Approving the annual school calendar and school operating times
- Determining school boundaries
School Board Meetings
The Isle of Wight County School Board holds Regular School Board meetings at 5:00 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month (*unless otherwise announced) in the Robert C. Claud, Sr. Board Room (formerly known as the Board of Supervisors' meeting room) at the Isle of Wight County Courthouse. The School Board will go into Closed Session at 5:00 p.m. Following Closed Session, the Open Session will begin at 6:00 p.m. with the recognition of Isle of Wight Achievers.
Regular Monthly meetings are also recorded and can be viewed on Charter cable.
Citizens wishing to address the Board can sign up by calling the Clerk's office at 357-8841 no later than three days before the Board meeting. Persons may also sign up prior to the beginning of the meeting on the signup sheet placed at the entrance to the boardroom.